Cowley County is blessed to have two institutions of higher learning that function as intellectual, cultural and economic bedrocks of the communities they serve.
Contact: (800) 846-1543 – sckans.edu
Southwestern is a four-year college in Winfield founded in 1885 that encourages and rewards public service, and whose professors and students help shape community life and public discussion. Freshmen spend their first full day in town doing service projects. Leadership through service is an important part of the culture at this United Methodist Institution: The College offers scholarships to three service-learning organizations that are equal to the scholarships earned by star quarterbacks or opera singers. SC is proud of its commitment to diversity — about 750-students study at the 80-acre campus. Students from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and other states sit side-by-side in classes with dozens of students from China, Saudi Arabia, and other countries. The growing Professional Studies program also offers online degree completion. Southwestern students are Moundbuilders, but watch out for The Jinx, their black-cat mascot!
FUN FACTS about Southwestern College
- Top Tier provider of online bachelor’s and graduate degrees as recognized by U.S.News and World Report
- Among the highest four-year graduate rate in the state
- Leadership Southwestern, Discipleship Southwestern and The Green Team are nationally recognized models for service education
- Recently renovated football stadium ($4 million) and performing arts center ($2.8 million)
- On-campus students receive a free laptop that is exchanged for a new model and software after two years
My experiences and relationships at SC were instrumental in helping me get my business off to a successful start. With mentors and professors who cared about my success, I knew I had support when I needed it.
— Brian Pettey
Founder-CEO of Robotzone, LLC.
Contact: (620) 442-0430 – cowley.edu
Each year hundreds of Cowley College students earn their associate’s degree and transfer to colleges and universities across the country. Hundreds more enter the workforce after completing career-ready programs.
Cowley College is a leader in higher education in Kansas since its founding in 1922 and continues to help local employers train workers and provide career-tech instruction for high school students. Recognized as one of the top community colleges in the country for student success, and top athletic programs that lure students from across the country and globe, the college provides a valuable experience at an affordable price.
The main campus, in downtown Arkansas City, is a cultural hub anchored by the Brown Center, which hosts performing and fine arts activities and is the go-to venue for community programs and events. The community and the college enjoy a great relationship demonstrated by an active Tiger Booster Club, as well as student, faculty and administration participation in clubs, festivals and charities.
FUN FACTS about Cowley College
- Over 80 programs of study; 30+ can be completed entirely online
- Tied for 30 out of 780 community colleges by CNN Money for graduation and transfer rates
- The No. 12-ranked athletic program in the nation; 2013 national volleyball champions
- Recognized for outstanding welding, machining and manufacturing technology courses by The Manufacturing Institute
- Alpha Gamma Upsilon Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa (honor society) received Five Star status for sixth consecutive years
Cowley College was a great choice for me when I decided to further my education. The smaller class size, affordable cost, community feel and nice facilities all made the decision to attend Cowley an easy choice for me that I would recommend to others again and again. It’s places like Cowley College that help make the Ark City community a wonderful place to live, work and raise a family.
— Courtney Every
Marketing Coordinator for Creekstone Farms Premium Beef